AP Language & Composition

1 Unit
English Language Arts
Grades: 11, 12

AP English Language and Composition focuses on the central question, “Why was a text important when it was written?” As we analyze a text from this perspective, considering how the author would have considered their purpose, audience, and situation, we also develop the transfer skills to make those determinations about our own writing. As such, we develop the skills to consider a rhetorical situation as both reader and writer, which we can use in any context.Given the course’s focus on the rhetorical situation, we will read and write in a variety of genres (both academic and professional) as we prepare for both the AP English Language and Composition Exam and collegiate-level, academic writing. Since most students have the potential to earn credit for a college composition course with the successful completion of this exam, students should expect that most writing assignments will go through multiple drafts, with teacher, peer, and self evaluation all part of the writing and feedback process.


  • NCAA Eligible
  • State Certified
  • AP (Advanced Placement)©


Instructor Embedded Cost: $0

Content Only Cost: $0

The following information applies only to instructor embedded courses.

Oklahoma Subject Code: 4057

Course Provider Contact: Lisa Daniels | lisa.daniels@horizon.ok.gov | 405-522-0465

How To Purchase This Course

Districts wishing to purchase this course should contact the course provider directly (see contact information above) and reference the contract in the "attachments" portion of the page linked here. If you are purchasing an Instructor Embedded course, please note that online instructors need not be certified in the state of Oklahoma. They must be certified to teach the content in at least one state or teach the subject at a college or university. To enroll a student in the course, you will need to obtain from the course provider (a) the instructor’s name; (b) the state through which the instructor is certified, and (c) the instructor’s certification number. If the instructor is employed to teach the subject at a college or university, you will need to obtain that institution’s iPEDS number. This information will be recorded in the SIS when you enroll a student in the course. When enrolling a student in a Content Only course, you must indicate in the SIS the name of the person monitoring the course.