AP Literature & Composition

1 Unit
English Language Arts
Grades: 10, 11, 12

The AP English Literature and Composition course is designed and taught through a mixture of themes and genres to develop students’ skills of analyzing literature based on genre structures and characteristics and to develop students’ ability to connect related literature under an overarching theme while also engaging with the required Big Ideas. This course closely follows the requirements described in the Course and Exam Description (CED). Students will read and study a variety of novels, plays, poems, and short fiction from the 16th century to the present from Literature and Composition: Essential Voices, Essential Skills. Emphasis is placed on developing independent reading, writing, thinking, and analytical skills through experiencing and writing multi-paragraph, literature-based compositions with an emphasis on expository development and developing student voice. Students will practice writing through numerous timed essays, which will be revised, as well as longer, MLA-formatted, researched essays. Students will also practice oral communication and writing for various audiences. This course will help prepare the student for the rigors of a college education.


  • NCAA Eligible
  • State Certified
  • AP (Advanced Placement)©


Instructor Embedded Cost: $0

Content Only Cost: $0

The following information applies only to instructor embedded courses.

Oklahoma Subject Code: 4010

Course Provider Contact: Lisa Daniels | lisa.daniels@horizon.ok.gov | 405-522-0465

How To Purchase This Course

Districts wishing to purchase this course should contact the course provider directly (see contact information above) and reference the contract in the "attachments" portion of the page linked here. If you are purchasing an Instructor Embedded course, please note that online instructors need not be certified in the state of Oklahoma. They must be certified to teach the content in at least one state or teach the subject at a college or university. To enroll a student in the course, you will need to obtain from the course provider (a) the instructor’s name; (b) the state through which the instructor is certified, and (c) the instructor’s certification number. If the instructor is employed to teach the subject at a college or university, you will need to obtain that institution’s iPEDS number. This information will be recorded in the SIS when you enroll a student in the course. When enrolling a student in a Content Only course, you must indicate in the SIS the name of the person monitoring the course.