Contemporary Health

0.5 Unit
Health/Physical Education
Grades: 9, 10, 11, 12

This semester-long course designed for high school students examines and analyzes various health topics. It places alcohol use, drug use, physical fitness, healthy relationships, disease prevention, relationships, and mental health in the context of the importance of creating a healthy lifestyle. Throughout the course, students examine the practices and plans they can implement in order to carry out a healthy lifestyle, and the consequences they can face if they do not follow safe health practices. In addition, students conduct in-depth studies in order to create mentally and emotionally healthy relationships with peers and family, and to devise healthy nutrition, sleeping, and physical fitness plans. Students also examine and analyze harassment and bullying laws.
The Contemporary Health course does cover sensitive topics such as sexual intercourse, contraception, sex and gender, pregnancy, sexual harassment, physical violence, emotional abuse, sexually transmitted infections, and substance use and abuse.


  • State Certified


Instructor Embedded Cost: $275

Content Only Cost: $70

The following information applies only to instructor embedded courses.

Oklahoma Subject Code: 3310

Course Provider Contact: Kate Baxter | | 480-772-9717

How To Purchase This Course

Districts wishing to purchase this course should contact the course provider directly (see contact information above) and reference the contract in the "attachments" portion of the page linked here. If you are purchasing an Instructor Embedded course, please note that online instructors need not be certified in the state of Oklahoma. They must be certified to teach the content in at least one state or teach the subject at a college or university. To enroll a student in the course, you will need to obtain from the course provider (a) the instructor’s name; (b) the state through which the instructor is certified, and (c) the instructor’s certification number. If the instructor is employed to teach the subject at a college or university, you will need to obtain that institution’s iPEDS number. This information will be recorded in the SIS when you enroll a student in the course. When enrolling a student in a Content Only course, you must indicate in the SIS the name of the person monitoring the course.