English I (Honors)

1 Unit
English Language Arts
Grades: 9

The purpose of Horizons Advanced English I is to train students to notice the critical features of a text so they may “unlock” the nuances of the author’s craft in order to better understand the message, intent, and impact of a text. These nuances will often include analysis of how the author’s use of word choice (both figurative language and literal meanings) can affect a reader.As students understand how authors use their craft both stylistically and for precision, they can begin to focus on their own writer’s craft by focusing first on academic sentence structure and then building upon these skills to develop well-organized paragraphs and, with academic growth, responses of greater length or complexity.Students and mentors may notice that the skills of analysis and response are emphasized during ELA coursework but easily transferable to many disciplines and areas of study. Advanced English encourages reading comprehension, analytical response, academic research, study of rhetorical techniques, and discussions throughout the curriculum.


  • NCAA Eligible
  • AP (Advanced Placement)©


Instructor Embedded Cost: $0

Content Only Cost: $0

The following information applies only to instructor embedded courses.

Oklahoma Subject Code: 4045

Course Provider Contact: Lisa Daniels | lisa.daniels@horizon.ok.gov | 405-522-0465

How To Purchase This Course

Districts wishing to purchase this course should contact the course provider directly (see contact information above) and reference the contract in the "attachments" portion of the page linked here. If you are purchasing an Instructor Embedded course, please note that online instructors need not be certified in the state of Oklahoma. They must be certified to teach the content in at least one state or teach the subject at a college or university. To enroll a student in the course, you will need to obtain from the course provider (a) the instructor’s name; (b) the state through which the instructor is certified, and (c) the instructor’s certification number. If the instructor is employed to teach the subject at a college or university, you will need to obtain that institution’s iPEDS number. This information will be recorded in the SIS when you enroll a student in the course. When enrolling a student in a Content Only course, you must indicate in the SIS the name of the person monitoring the course.